Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Curio Makeover

Well, thanks to my husband, who spilled a glass of water on my side curio table and didn't tell me, it now needed a makeover.

Before and After:


I started by ripping out the old velvet.  I  pulled out as much of the backing as I could, but left what was strongly attached.  I measured the height of the inside of the curio and cut a piece of poster board to that size.  Next, I measured the diameter of the circle and then googled how to cut a circle.  It ended up to be extremely quick and easy. Here is the link:


I glued a scrap piece of fabric to both pieces of poster board that I had cut.  After the glue was dry, I cut around the edges.  I covered the inside of the curio with glue and put the fabric-covered poster board in the curio.  I wanted the fabric to be slightly stiff, so I covered everything with Elmer's glue.  I quit using Mod Podge years ago and just use Elmer's, the effect is the same.  Once the glue had dried, I didn't like how the edge looked where the side strip met the bottom circle, so I ran to the fabric store and bought 2 yards of cord.  I hot glued the cord in the corner and I was done!  


The table looks so pretty now, I'm not sure that I'll put my key collection back in it.  They are a little rusty now from the water anyway... :)

Total cost: $7.98 for the cord.

No comments:

Post a Comment